I am a border reporter in southern Arizona working for KJZZ, Arizona public radio. I specialize in covering the Sinaloa Cartel and the peripheral but burgeoning crime syndicates that operate along the borders of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I also investigate corruption and government malfeasance. I’m a digger and I’m stubborn and I like to get to the heart of a story.
With BorderReporter.com, I embrace New Media, using vetted citizen experts to talk about the issues of the day, video, photography and documents and I take advantage of the immediacy that social media broadcasting offers. But the core of my profession, news you won’t hear about anywhere else, I do the old-fashioned way – a notebook and a pen, a deep understanding of public records laws and hundreds of unofficial sources from both sides of the line. Between the two, not only do I get the story first, but I get it better.
The result? A news web site that’s existed since 2005 and that nearly 4,000 people a day visit to learn what’s happened along the border and to talk about it.
I am available for freelance work and broadcast production.
October 2010 – present
KJZZ, Arizona public radio
Tucson | Border Reporter
December 2005 – present
International Broadcast News Producer
• In 2009, I tracked down the killer of a photojournalist, a case I had worked on since 2006. The killer was an associate of the Sinaloa Cartel.
• In 2010, I co-authored an investigation into arms trafficking that illuminated the number of weapons entering Mexico from the U.S. The book, “Shared Responsibility” explores every aspect of organized crime and the border.
April 2003 – December 2005:
Arizona Daily Star
• In 2005, my reporting brought the Government Accountability Office to Arizona to investigate how illegal immigrant deaths were under-reported by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
• In 2004, my series on child smuggling prompted changes along the Sonora border in how deported children were managed by the local and federal governments.
July 2002 – April 2003
Arizona Daily Sun
January 2001 – July 2002
Editing software: Final Cut Express and Adobe Audition for video and audio. Adobe Photoshop for photography
Production gear: SLR camera, HD video gear, Marantz audio systems
Basic software: Mapping programs, spreadsheet and database software, all word processing systems
Special Report: “Corridor of Killing”
• Arizona Newspapers Association 2007
Special Report: “Smuggling Children”
• Casey Medals for Meritorious Journalism 2005 Casey Journalism Center 2nd Place
• Best of the West, Words, Editing and Design, 2nd Place 2004
• Lee President’s Awards for News and Innovation 2005
• Beat Reporting, Arizona Press Club 2004
• Sustained Reporting, Arizona Press Club 2004
• Enterprise Reporting, Associated Press Managing Editors 2004
Special Report: “24 Hours on the Border” team reporting
• Best of the West Words, Editing and Design 2003
• Unity Awards in Media for Public Affairs and Social Issues 2003
• Deadline Reporting, Associated Press Managing Editors 2003
• Health Reporting, Associated Press Managing Editors 2002
Fluent in Spanish
San Diego State University
Bachelor’s Degree in English